Do I need to have a computer to attend?
Yes. Each family will be required to have a computer system that meets the minimum specifications necessary to access the K12 Online School (OLS). Families must also have Internet access in order to participate in the school program. Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs.
What computer skills are required?
The learning coach or mentor needs to have at least basic computer skills. Use of the computer is an important part of the program, but in the early grades it is mostly the parent (or other responsible adult) who interacts with the computer. The program is user-friendly.
Computer Use Policy
Access to the internet via computer equipment and resource networks provided to qualifying students as a result of enrollment in VAVA are intended to serve and help the student to pursue educational goals and purposes. Communications and internet access should be conducted in a responsible and professional manner reflecting the school’s commitment to honest, ethical and non-discriminatory practice. Therefore, the following is prohibited:
- Any computer use that violates federal, state, or local law or regulation.
- Knowing or reckless interference with the normal operation of computers, peripherals, or networks.
- The use of VAVA Internet-related systems to access, transmit, store, display, or request inappropriate materials.
- Any use that is deemed to adversely affect VAVA.
What are the minimum specifications needed for computer systems to access the K12 Online School (OLS)?
Computers should follow these technical specs:
- Speed: 1.8 GHz or better
- RAM: 2-4 GB
- Disk space: 160 GB or more
- DVD drive
- Monitor: 19-inch flat panel
- Laptop screen: 15.6-inch
- Audio: High Definition sound card
- Modem: Ethernet port. Laptops include Nic card (wi-fi)
- Desktop Microphone and Headset Microphones
- Operating system: Windows 7 Professional
- Microsoft Office 2010
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer version 10
- Google Chrome 33
- Mozilla Firefox 22
- Adobe® Reader®
- Macromedia Flash™
- Java 7
- Real Player®
- McAfee® Virus Protection
- McAfee® Web Protection
Microsoft and Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Adobe and Acrobat Reader are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
RealPlayer is a trademark or a registered trademark of RealNetworks, Inc.
Macromedia Flash is a trademark or registered trademark of Macromedia, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. QuickTime is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.